Can You Substitute White Sugar for Brown Sugar: When you are making some cakes and cookies or when your cakes and cookies need a sweet touch on the top, suddenly if you found that there is no brown sugar packet in the pantry then you may think of swapping white sugar in place of sugar, but there is a doubt that can you swap white sugar instead of brown sugar or not.
Look on to this guide to clear all your queries on whether can you substitute white sugar for brown sugar or not, and much more information like the difference between brown sugar and white sugar, how to make the sugar switch, and many more are provided below.
- Can You Switch White Sugar For Brown Sugar? - How To Substitute White Sugar For Brown Sugar?
- What is the Difference Between White Sugar and Brown Sugar? - White Sugar Vs Brown Sugar
- How To Make Brown Sugar With White Sugar?
- What Happens If you Use White Sugar Instead of Brown sugar in Cookies?
- Can you swap out white sugar for brown sugar?
- How much white sugar should I substitute for brown sugar?
- How do you make white sugar taste like white sugar?
- How do you turn white sugar into brown sugar without molasses?
Yes, you can substitute white sugar instead of brown sugar. And even substituting white sugar in place of brown sugar is very easy. For one cup of brown sugar, you can add one cup of white sugar(1:1).
But using white sugar for brown sugar may have some effect on cookies, pastries, and brownies as brown sugar give you a soft texture and caramel flavor to the recipe that white sugar doesn't give.
But don't worry, adding molasses to white sugar and using it in the recipe gives you the same texture and same flavor with the same color.
White sugar is made with sugar cane or beets and it is refined many times to get rid of impurities also molasses will be removed completely. When it comes to brown sugar, it is partially purified and sugar producers do not remove molasses altogether.
So that it will be in brown color, and it gives caramel flavor with a rich texture. And many manufacturers, just add molasses to the refined white sugar and package it as brown sugar.
You can even make brown sugar with refined white sugar, check out our below sections.
- What Can You Substitute For Brown Sugar
- Can You Substitute Powdered Sugar For Granulated Sugar
- Can You Substitute Brown Sugar For White Sugar
When you dont have brown sugar with you but cannot able add white sugar in place of that, make brown sugar easily at home with the white sugar with the following steps given below.
- Take white sugar and molasses that you have at home.
- Add 1 and a half tablespoons of molasses for 1 cup of white sugar, in case of light brown sugar.
- If you want dark brown sugar, add 1/4 cup of molasses for 1 cup of granulated white sugar.
- In case, if you dont have molasses, use maple syrup.
- Add 2/3 cup of maple syrup for every cup of granulated sugar.
Even though you cannot expect the exact result of the recipe like the taste you get when you add brown sugar to it.
When you replace white sugar instead of brown sugar in cookies, the cookies will come in crisper than the cookies you make with brown sugar. If you are the one who likes to eat cookie crisper you can go for white sugar in place of brown sugar.
Otherwise, you can easily make your own brown sugar at home with white sugar and use it as brown sugar.
FAQs on Can I Substitute Brown Sugar For White Sugar in Brownies
Yes, you can swap out white sugar for brown sugar and it is easy too as it is a one-to-one ratio. So, if your recipe calls for one cup of brown sugar, you can add one cup of white sugar.
When substituting white sugar in place of brown sugar for a recipe, you can easily substitute an equal amount which means if the recipe needs one cup of brown sugar you can add one cup of white sugar.
You can make brown sugar with white sugar by adding some molasses to white sugar. If you want light brown sugar then add one tablespoon of molasses, if you need dark brown sugar, add 2 tablespoons of molasses.
Without molasses, you can turn white sugar into brown sugar by adding 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup, or agave nectar for one cup of white sugar.
In a Nutshell
Hope that the article we have provided above on whether can you substitute white sugar for brown sugar had shed some light on you. Even if you want only brown sugar, make brown sugar with white sugar by looking into our article.
Still, if you have any doubts you can comment to us in the comment section below. For more interesting food substitution articles, you can check out our Canyousubstitute.com website.