Can You Substitute Lime Juice for Lemon Juice?: Are you making fresh lemon juice for guests and suddenly you run out of lemon juice for the rest of the people? Now, what will be an alternative is the biggest worry for every human being. Running out of an important ingredient like lemon juice while cooking or beverages is not anymore a big deal as there are various alternatives to look for but the best substitute is lime juice.
Now, you may get a query like can you substitute lime juice for lemon juice for cooking, baking, cocktails, canning, etc. The answers to all such questions are explained in this guide. Just jump into it and clear your doubts on How to replace lemon juice with lime juice, how much lime juice is required in the recipe, etc.
- Lemon vs. Lime Juice | What is the Difference Between Lime Juice & Lemon Juice?
- Can You Substitute Lime Juice for Lemon Juice?
- How Much You Should Substitute Lime Juice for Lemon Juice in Cooking, Baking, Canning, Cocktails?
- How many limes do you need to make a lemon?
- FAQs on Can lime juice be substituted for lemon juice when cooking?
- Can you use lime juice instead of lemon juice on fish?
- Can you substitute lime juice for lemon juice in canning?
- What else can I use as a substitute for lemon juice?
- Can I replace lemon juice with lime juice in shrimp scampi?
- How to Create Lime Juice Without Limes?
- Can I use lime on my face instead of lemon?
- Is it possible to use lime juice instead of lemon juice in salad dressing?
Lemon vs. Lime Juice | What is the Difference Between Lime Juice & Lemon Juice?
Limes and lemons fall under the citrus family which has the same flavor. Because of the presence of natural citric acid in both juices, they are acidic in nature. There are a few similar things in both lemon and lime juice but they are a few differences as well like shared below:
- You will find slight sweetness in the lemon juice that’s the reason for its strong flavor. Thus, it provides citrus flavor to recipes effectively. No matter if it is lemon or lime, the flavor is still similar but more flavourful when you use lemon juice.
- Lemon juice has less acidic properties compared to lime juice.
- Lime juice has nearly 2.00 to 2.35 pH value, because of its highly acidic property which results in tangier than lemon juice.
Can You Substitute Lime Juice for Lemon Juice?
Yes, you can substitute lime juice for lemon juice for savory, sweet dishes and cocktails. Both lime and lemon juices can be used interchangeably. Lime juice is the top-best substitute for lemon juice as it has a similar taste and acidity level.
Moreover, lime juice can also be swapped with lemon juice while preserving any food for a longer time fresh or for canning. Both have the same pH level apart from this substitute there is no other alternative that does the same job while storing food fresh.
So, use lime juice in place of lemon juice when required & save yourself at tough times. If you are confused about how much you should replace lemon juice with lime juice, then look at the below module without fail.
Related Food Substitute Articles:
- Can You Substitute Flour For Cornstarch
- Can You Substitute Half and Half for Milk
- Can You Substitute Powdered Sugar For Granulated Sugar
How Much You Should Substitute Lime Juice for Lemon Juice in Cooking, Baking, Canning, Cocktails?
The substitution ratio of lime juice and lemon juice is 1:1 means you can replace the lime juice with lemon juice in equal amounts in any recipe. If you want the exact ratio for substitution in baking, cooking, canning, and cocktails then refer below.
Baking: In baking cakes, muffins, pancakes, brownies, cookies, or other baked goods, you can add lime juice in equal amounts or less for the perfect flavor to the recipe. As mentioned above, in some sweet dishes, the flavor of the final product is slightly different from the original flavor so add small amounts of lime juice for some acidity and raise the baked good.
Cooking: In recipes like savory and sauces, you can substitute lime juice in the same measurements for lemon juice. For example, swap 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of lime juice for the exact flavor and texture.
Canning: You can even go for canning your food to stay fresh and safe for a longer time with lime juice as a substitute for lemon juice. The procedure of canning with lemon juice is the same as lime juice.
Cocktails: For a similar bright and citrusy flavor in cocktails, add equal parts of lime juice and replace the lemon juice in cocktails.
How many limes do you need to make a lemon?
To make a lemon, you need approximately 1 1/4 lime because a fresh lemon contains 2-3 tsp of lemon juice whereas a fresh lime includes 2 tsp of lime juice. So, based on this stat the limes you need to make a lemon is explained here. In case, if you run out of fresh lemons and limes then remember the quantities and apply them in the recipes when using bottled lime or lemon juice.
FAQs on Can lime juice be substituted for lemon juice when cooking?
1. Can you use lime juice instead of lemon juice on fish?
Yes, you can use lime juice instead of lemon juice on fish as it is called a great substitute in savory dishes. All you need to do is take the equal amount of lime juice that the recipe calls for lemon juice and enjoy the recipe.
2. Can you substitute lime juice for lemon juice in canning?
Yes, lime juice is an ideal substitute for lemon juice in canning and preserving food as it also comes in the same pH level.
3. What else can I use as a substitute for lemon juice?
After lime juice, a few other best substitutes for lemon juice in cooking are outlined:
- White wine
- White Vinegar
- Lemon zest
- Cream of tartar
- Lemon extract
- Orange juice
- Citric Acid
4. Can I replace lemon juice with lime juice in shrimp scampi?
Yes, you can replace lemon juice with lime juice in the shrimp scampi recipe without other questions. It may differ in the flavor of the recipe sometimes without proper measurements.
5. How to Create Lime Juice Without Limes?
You can’t create lime juice without limes. So instead of that you can use the lemons and extract the lemon juice to use in the recipe as it is same in the taste and acidity.
6. Can I use lime on my face instead of lemon?
Yes, you can use lime instead of lemon on your face because the AHAs in lemons, limes, and other citrus fruit has no difference. So, it is possible to use lime juice if skin care DIY calls for lemon juice. Also, both lemons and limes can be swapped if needed.
7. Is it possible to use lime juice instead of lemon juice in salad dressing?
Yes, it is possible to use lime juice instead of lemon juice in salad dressing but make sure to use it in equal amounts. If you add more then the taste of the recipe differs slightly because lime juice has a more acidic, flavor.
Overall, Lime juice is the best substitute for lemon juice and it can be done as a one-to-one replacement. You can use this substitution for making sweet dishes, savory dishes, preserving food, and even beverages. So, we think that the covered information about whether can you substitute lime juice for lemon juice helped you to some extent.
If you need anything else to add or suggest, let us know without fail via the comment section below. For regular updates bookmark our site @canyousubstitute.com or else visit on a daily basis for new food substitution articles.